About this Blog

Welcome to the blog I will keep as I head abroad for a year in Haifa, Israel. I have been awarded a Fulbright scholarship to compare the prosodic systems in American Sign Language and Israeli Sign Language. If all goes well and I can get the work done efficiently, I will also have time to do a preliminary look into Al-Sayyid Bedouin Sign Language prosody as well.

Each post in this blog is labelled according to the audience I have in mind for that entry, and the list of the "Labels" is available in the right column along with a search box. A list of each entry title and date is also available in the left column for your browsing pleasure.

Welcome and Bruchim Habaim.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Final Thoughts and ReEntry

Note to self: when you will be leaving a bunch of loved ones for quite some time, and be saying goodbyes with tight and long hugs…don’t get your back and shoulders sunburned the day before!

Well, I am officially back in the states. I have passed through border control and customs, rechecked my bags, and now await my final leg of this trip, which will go from Newark to Los Angeles. Before I left, I started making a mental list of things I expect to miss and those I am looking forward to:

I know I will miss:

  • Of course the number one thing is the people I’ve met and bonded with.
  • The bus ride from my apartment to campus
  • The feeling of success everyday things brought: ordering coffee, finding my way to an intended destination, asking when the next bus will arrive
  • Israeli pita bread and salads
  • Congregational worship in Hebrew
  • Hiking the Israel National Trail, and the friends I made along the way
  • Signing in ISL and working hard to suppress ASL code-switching in the process
  • The reading group in the lab and all the great discussions it brought
  • Shopping at the Shuk (outdoor market)
  • Walking alone at night, safely
  • Israeli directness – (what a different species Israeli guys are from American guys!)
  • The view of the mountain and sea from almost anywhere in Haifa
  • Listening to strangers’ conversations and being proud just to recognize words here and there
  • Israeli accents

What I am looking forward to upon returning:

  • The way American dogs act like pets
  • Smoking laws
  • People considering my first name common and readily recognizable
  • Customer service in a highly capitalist society :-p
  • Signing ASL fluently with long-loved friends and coworkers
  • Mexican food
  • Mexican accents
  • Drying my clothes in a machine
  • Congregational worship through songs in English
  • Seeing Steph’s studio
  • ASL worship at SAC
  • Blending into a crowd, blonde hair and all
  • Stores with clothes I find appealing
  • Browsing the web instantly, by means of my cell
  • Running shoes at 1/3 the prices
  • The upcoming Summer Linguistic Institute, my friend’s wedding, 4th of July with family, beginning my doctoral program
  • and of course, the people.

Now I’ve begun a new mental list of things I was surprised to be surprised by since returning:

  • Starbucks – I hadn’t realized I haven’t seen one in 11 months, and it was a kind of shock when it loomed up before me in the airport…and yet was an immediate, “Of course”. How can it feel like I haven’t been here in ages, and yet like I never left both at the same time? I feel like Dorothy or Alice waking up at the end of the movie.
  • Jamba Juice – Having reached the gate for my connecting flight, confirmed its time, and visited the bathroom, I went in search of a meal. Wasn’t sure what I was in the mood for until I saw the sign, sighed, and actually said the name allowed quietly…before realizing I only have shekels on me. Now to find a currency exchange place.
  • Everything is in English! – Of course I expected this, and while in Israel most everything is also in English as well as Hebrew, and often Arabic, but I guess I’d shifted to sounding out the Hebrew first, always, before turning to the translation. Being able to simply sight-read every sign is a little overstimulating…and simultaneously sadly boring.
  • Recycling! – I went to throw something away in the airport, and not only could I recycle plastic, but tin, glass…all kinds of things! :-D

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant!! It was so fun to get to know you and I wish you could stay! Funny to read those lists of things and I will be enjoying some of them very soon in the UK. Probably most of all the name thing. Good times.
    הנה קצת עברית בשבילך כי אני לא רוצה שאת תהיה משועממת :)

    ReplyDelete