About this Blog

Welcome to the blog I will keep as I head abroad for a year in Haifa, Israel. I have been awarded a Fulbright scholarship to compare the prosodic systems in American Sign Language and Israeli Sign Language. If all goes well and I can get the work done efficiently, I will also have time to do a preliminary look into Al-Sayyid Bedouin Sign Language prosody as well.

Each post in this blog is labelled according to the audience I have in mind for that entry, and the list of the "Labels" is available in the right column along with a search box. A list of each entry title and date is also available in the left column for your browsing pleasure.

Welcome and Bruchim Habaim.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My first return visit :-D

It's been two years.  As is usually the case, it feels simultaneously like it has been a lifetime, and it has passed like the blink of an eye.  Since i have been back my mind's eye has regularly jumped me from place to place: one moment in the garden tomb, then next atop Mt. Arbel, and the next walking along Hof HaCarmel...it is hard to convince my brain that this week doing those things will require substantial travel time between each.

I'm awaiting the first leg of my journey, the short flight to the enchanted Newark airport, and my mind wanders.  I'm looking forward to seeing all my friends, and I am so thankful for Facebook these two years.

I am looking forward to coffee and chatting with Jo at Masada Cafe, and to jogging at Hof HaCarmel, and to visiting everyone at the Sign Language Research Lab, and my kids (will any of them still be there? Will they remember me?  Will I remember them?) at Shema.

I am looking forward to meandering the streets and markets of Old Jerusalem, and bobbing in the Salt Sea, and visiting Cafe Capish and using what ISL I can conjure back up.  And to visiting the Interpreting program at Bar Ilon.

I am looking forward to some hiking in the north, and a few hours on Mt Arbel in the sun and breezes.

I reread my "Re-entry" post. I forgot about the dogs! And the smoking. :-/ And I'm very glad I posted about the importance of not using a cell while driving -- I'll be renting both a car and a phone, so it's a good reminder!

And oh yes, Halumi salad in Haifa's Germantown, and that salad at Aroma of which I have forgotten the name. :-P. And hummus sandwiches in Israeli pita, and olives. Good good olives. Ahh, it's gonna be awesome. Now, if only the weather would lift (we've been sitting on the plane for a while waiting for a go-ahead from Newark -- it's beautiful here, but apprently visibility is bad up there...hope I can make my connecting flight. :-))

I'm excited to celebrate my friends' marriage, and can hardly wait for service at Beit Eliahu.

No comments:

Post a Comment