About this Blog

Welcome to the blog I will keep as I head abroad for a year in Haifa, Israel. I have been awarded a Fulbright scholarship to compare the prosodic systems in American Sign Language and Israeli Sign Language. If all goes well and I can get the work done efficiently, I will also have time to do a preliminary look into Al-Sayyid Bedouin Sign Language prosody as well.

Each post in this blog is labelled according to the audience I have in mind for that entry, and the list of the "Labels" is available in the right column along with a search box. A list of each entry title and date is also available in the left column for your browsing pleasure.

Welcome and Bruchim Habaim.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Heading back to the Trail

So, I'm back!

I lived in Haifa August 2010 through June 2011, and then returned stateside to continue living in our nation's capital for an additional four years before heading back west.

I've been back home for a little over a year and a half, and now have returned to DC and Israel for a couple of months.

It's fascinating to see what I remember and what I don't. Not all that surprising that I can recall places and other visually orienting elements, and I've forgotten street names, bus numbers, and colloquial verbiage. It's all coming back to me. ;-)

On Thursday night my dear friend drove me up to Portland and deposited me at a mutual friend's apartment. After a lovely short visit and mini-sleep I was up at 2:30am to catch the Max over to PDX, and hop on my flight through Houston to D.C.. It was a remarkably smooth journey and K met me outside baggage claim once I'd collected my backpack that I'd parted from all the way back in Portland. Air travel truly is amazing.

I spent three days in DC visiting my favorite coffee shops and other study places, catching up on some critical computer-bound work that had piled up while daily life took precedence back home, as well as visiting my favorite food spots, and dropping in for a stealth visit to my old congregation (west side). Then finished re-packing for the hike, the tour, and the visits, and viola! Onto Dulles!

Once K got through security (we'd just been admiring her water bottle, and neither of us realized of course she'd need to empty it before TSA ;-p), it was smooth sailing through Brussels and to Tel Aviv the next afternoon. We gathered our packs, found an ATM for some local currency, got our Israeli SIM cards, and K helped me arrange my first Trail Angel stay for the next night (more on Trail Angels in posts to come. It's couch surfing specifically for Shvil hikers.) :)

I left K at her Sherut (shared taxi) to Jerusalem, and when my Sherut driver seemed displeased at life, and resistant to driving all the way to Haifa, I left him there on the bench and went to find a train to my old home in the north. I was so thankful to have options! :) This first night back in town I got to stay with my old roommate, in my old room! (Renovated since I left; fancy! ;))

P spoilt me with a delicious dinner and fancy pancakes in the morning. I unpacked and repacked, rearranging the various items I'll need for these first three days on the trail, the successive five, and the things that will wait until I join WSFC and TCW for the tour. Then showered and plopped in bed for a good and much needed night's sleep.

This morning after breakfast I headed out to the bus stop P had reminded me of, to make the trek down the mountain and catch the bus that will take me to the spot where I last left HaShvil (the trail). I'd forgotten the joy of walking out of the house to be greeted by the Mediterranean Sea shining out on the horizon far down below! What a refreshing and energizing surprise. :)

Caught the 115 bus down the hill, and I am now down in Mercaz Hof HaCarmel (the center of the Carmel beach) awaiting my 947 bus southbound to the Or Akiva interchange from which I will walk over to Caesarea. The bus should arrive in about fifteen minutes, and then me and my pack will be on our way! It's been quite a journey to get to the start of this journey. And a great one so far. :)

Day 1 (well, "pre-hike one," since it'll be a few before I join up with Kelli) starts in less than an hour.
Here we go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment