About this Blog

Welcome to the blog I will keep as I head abroad for a year in Haifa, Israel. I have been awarded a Fulbright scholarship to compare the prosodic systems in American Sign Language and Israeli Sign Language. If all goes well and I can get the work done efficiently, I will also have time to do a preliminary look into Al-Sayyid Bedouin Sign Language prosody as well.

Each post in this blog is labelled according to the audience I have in mind for that entry, and the list of the "Labels" is available in the right column along with a search box. A list of each entry title and date is also available in the left column for your browsing pleasure.

Welcome and Bruchim Habaim.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Initial Thoughts upon First Return

Initial thoughts upon return...

 I forgot both how long the walk is from the plane to Passport Control, and how much I love all the posters, pictures, welcome signs, and advertisements in Hebrew that I can sound out, but not understand along that walk. *grin*

Exchanged my currency and got my local phone without a hitch, and used my first Hebrew when I wasn't sure if the transaction was done, "Zeyhoo?  Er...are we done?"  It just came out, but then I wasn't sure it made sense. (And signing y/n in ASL isn't always as transparent as I think it is. :-p)   Got a little lost trying to get to the car rentals (I went up the escalator to the right rather than the left), and then spent some time at the Budget desk trying to figure out why he couldn't find my reservation...until I got out my iPad and found the notes I'd made, about how my reservation is at Hertz. *insert eyeroll* By then a line had formed at Hertz, where there had been none when I arrived, so I waited my turn -- I forgot we don't do lines here, dang it.  Gotta not "wait" but rather "TAKE" your turn...anyway, eventually remembered that and got a turn.  All of the waiting -- silly polite/patient American -- made me late to meet up with my friend, Victor in Tel Aviv, who then had to leave before we saw each other, so he could make his flight.  Boo.  

Anyway, spent quite a bit of time being lost in Tel Aviv, constantly being reminded why I've spend the last two and a half years saying, "Yeah, I don't like Tel Aviv; I'm a Haifa girl," before finally heading north along the...ack, what's it called? Ayalon?  Alayon?  The highway that looks like the 101 Hwy that runs up the California coast.  It. is. beautiful.  When you get just north of Caesarea and the Mediterranean Sea meets your eyes above the rolling sand dunes.  Stunning.

I was getting quite tired while driving after the long day of traveling, with not much sleep on the flights, so stopped for a bathroom/food break.  At the little cafe kiosk thing, I didn't know the Hebrew word for brownie, so I just pointed and made up my own cognate.  She responded using rising intonation with something like, "Lechamem?"  And I thought, "Oh, that sounds kind of like the word for 'bread,' it must mean Brownie."  I nodded, and then stood there practicing the word.  Then I saw her pulling the brownie out of the packaging and realized, Oh!  Lechamem (or something) -- that sounds like "Cham" or "Warm"...she offered to warm it up for me!  Haha, good think my ignorant smile and nod produced a desirable result despite my lack of comprehension. :-P

It was tempted to pull off at Hof HaCarmel and change into my swimsuit, grab a book, and plop myself down on the beach, but I knew I really wanted to get settled in first.  Besides I know myself.  If I'd done that, there would be no convincing myself to pause and sunscreen up, and I'd regret it, no doubt.

So, I kept on.  Was able to drive directly to Masada Street by memory, which was very pleasing, found a parking spot a few doors down from the cafe (thanks!) and ordered my Afuch Katan.

"Afuch katan, bevakasha."
"Blahblah, Hebrewsomething"
...er, "Ma?"
"Blahblah, youdon'trememberthisquestioninHebrew?"
"Emm, slicha, ani lo mevina Evreet tov."
"Ma?  Oh. You will sit here? or take it to go?"
"OH!  Poh, poh. *sheepish grin to the only-sligtly-condescending-smile*  Toda."

And here I sit, sipping my latte (so much better in Israel! Is it the coffee beans or the milk that is sooo different?), and thankful I bought the keyboard for my iPad, this would be annoying to type on the screen!

Since school let out I've read and edited a friend's MA thesis, read another friend's book manuscript, and begun reading another friend's dissertation and the script of a play I'll interpret next month.  It's gonna be a good summer. :-)  Now to call my friend's neighbor who will let me into the flat until she gets home, and then settling in, washing up, and a little rest. (And perhaps trekking down to the beach to enjoy the later-afternoon sun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment